Sunday, May 15, 2011

Ashford and Staines

You know what I'm most interested in?
I don't know either.

Here are some things that were interesting on Saturday, May 14.

Fancy dress shop. In the U.S., they're costumes, and they're usually only available at Halloween, or are for rent for a lot of money. Some of these were for rent, most were for sale, but never, ever had I seen an adult costume for a Christmas Cracker.



In the market stalls in Staines, there was a woman named Lindy with fascinators she had made. Julie bought a black feathery one with a flower, for a wedding she's attending soon. Lindy's husband bragged her up hugely, and the art was really good, too. The prices are from £15 to £45. Julie's cost £20. The couple have an American Cadillac and go to car shows and jitterbug gatherings. The husband had a South Dakota sweatshirt on.




Inside Waitrose, some interesting groceries:



Outside, some rides:


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking us with you to England! I especially enjoyed seeing the fascinators---last Sunday I took my 3 oldest kids to a Steampunk/Victoriana convention in San Diego, and we met a hatmaker who specializes in straw hats. I bought a bonnet from him, and when I asked if we could take a picture with him, he supplied fascinators for my three girls to wear in the photo.

    Have a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandra, please say hello to Julie, James and Adam for me! Lovely to see pics of their smiling faces.

    Which fascinator did Julie ultimately choose?

    And Hovis bread! I miss that - we used to get a dense whole-wheat version in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The black feathers with a black flower in the middle. She's wearing it looking out from the tent/booth/sunshade (I don't know what to call it), with the bag on her arm. She's going to wear it with a pink dress or maybe a blue one, I think, and with black shoes and a black bag.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are joyously welcome!